With thanks to AJDalton, there are (and the W&A HB will confirm this) only fifteen sci fi agents in the UK. They are:
(Comments by Mr Dalton)
i) Sheil Land (always reply), http://www.sheilland.co.uk
ii) United Agents (rarely bother to reply), http://unitedagents.co.uk/
iii) Zeno Agency (only open for submissions once in a while), http://zenoagency.com/
iv) London Independent Books, contact Carolyn Whitaker (nice lady)
v) Artellus Limited, http://www.artellusltd.co.uk/
vi) Caroline Sheldon Literary Agency (matter of taste), http://www.carolinesheldon.co.uk/
vii) Mic Cheetham, http://www.miccheetham.com/
viii) Dorian Literary Agency, based in Devon
ix) Marjacq Scripts (allow you to submit online, and they always reply),http://www.marjacq.com/home/home.htm
x) MBA Literary Agency, http://www.mbalit.co.uk/
xi) John Jarrold (agent to the late, great Robert Jordan), http://www.johnjarrold.co.uk/
xii) Darley Anderson (good reputation), www.darleyanderson.com
xiii) Hanbury Agency (agent to yours truly, and J G Ballard back in the day, so they can’t be bad, eh?),www.hanburyagency.co.uk
xiv) Conville & Walsh (check their staff list to see who represents what genre), www.convilleandwalsh.com
These are my experiences (sci fi and otherwise):
- Sheil Land: Has rejected everything I’ve ever sent (and there have been a few over the years)
- Zeno Agency: Never bloody open for submissions when I look
- Mic Cheetham: Has rejected everything I’ve ever sent AND didn’t bother sending back my last submission, despite the fact that I included a stamped SAE, as requested. Bastards. Will not approach again on principal. I mean, you know, you can’t just chuck away writers’ work. It costs the bloody earth to print out endless chapters. So in my book, Mic Cheetham is a spiteful fucker.
- Dorian Literary Agency: Broke my heart.
- Marcjacq Agency: Heard nothing back.
- John Jarrold: Replied as promised to my first submission within 24 hours with a rejection. Not a peep for the second but that was probably my fault.
- Darley Anderson: Rejected all.
- Curtis Brown: Rejected all (many, many times…)
- Capel + Land: No reply, didn’t return my work, chucked submission away as well. More spiteful fuckers.
- Snowbooks: Rejected all (again, many times…)
There are others. These are only the most recent in recent years. I can’t even remember the others from prior incarnations of self. There’s one called Anubis, I know – don’t bother. You’ll be lucky to get an unreadable “no thanks” written on the back of your cover letter.
Time to go and put my head in the oven. Oh, no, hang on, it broke over the weekend and I had to get a friend to come around in the pouring rain to disconnect it.
I am losing hope.